The mission of the Bethel Public Library is to be a community information center combining professional library services, programs and material in both printed and electronic format that Bethel residents of all ages can turn to for discovery of ideas and the joy of reading.
The history of the Bethel Public Library has been characterized by growth to meet the expanding needs of the community it serves. The Library had a humble beginning when in 1909, an ordinance established the Bethel Public Library. From 1910 when the library opened in one room over what was then A.J. Lynch’s store on Greenwood Avenue to July 2005 when the newly renovated Library opened for business the Bethel Public Library has responded to the changing needs of the community.