Information on:

Bryan-Andrew House Museum

Bryan-Andrew House Museum
605 Orange Center Rd
203 795-3106

Admission is $3.00 for adults, children under 10 free.

The Town of Orange purchased the circa 1740 Bryan-Andrew House in 2000. The Bryan family was associated with Milford from its founding in 1639. Alexander and his son Richard Bryan were important figures in the local shipping industry and in the settling of the lands known as North Milford, which were to become Orange. Bryan's Farms, as it was known in 1700, would be one of several settlements reaching out into the area surrounding the Milford Colony. The first school was established here in 1750. 

Although 19 families have resided in the Bryan-Andrew House, the original character of the homestead endures, as do many of the materials used by Nathan Bryan when he began this house in 1739 upon his marriage to Elizabeth Whitman. Nathan died in 1766 and bequeathed one third of the house to his wife, in the custom of the day, and two thirds to his son Nathan. By 1775, son Nathan moved to New Milford, selling his share to Samuel and William Andrew and by 1795 he sold his mother's one third to William Andrew.

With grants from the State of Connecticut, the Connecticut Trust for Historic Preservation, donations, and fundraisers, the Orange Historical Society is restoring the home. It is now open by appointment as a house museum for local school tours to experience a day in the life of early Orange using Bryan's Farms as its historical location. 

In the summer of  2001 and 2002, an archeological dig took place at the home and artifacts unearthed are now cataloged and available for viewing. A girl scout project for a silver award identified each item, putting them in what was a library card catalog. If interested, call 203 795-3106 for an appointment.

Restoration is continuing with plaster walls and ceilings with original lath underneath to recreate the 1740 construction.  The fireplace in the parlor was altered many years ago and has been restored by Joesph Carney, master mason.  The hearth brick, which was obviously 20th century, was removed to reveal the original red brick in the inner hearth.  The side walls had been dismantled when the 20th century fire brick was installed.  The finished fireplace can been seen in the home page with additional up-to-date restorations.

Bryan-Andrew House Museum is not affiliated with AmericanTowns Media
Select a Connecticut town to find
the Best Things-To-Do and Places To Go around you