RoaringBrookNatureCenter was founded in 1948 by Canton resident Una Storrs Riddle and was originally known as the Canton Children's NatureMuseum. In 1964, as a result of a bequest to the State of Connecticut, the adjacent 100 acre Werner Farm became available to the NatureCenter as a wildlife sanctuary and outdoor classroom. A new building in 1966 provided larger exhibit space and allowed for expanded programming opportunities. In 1973, the NatureCenter became affiliated with the The Children's Museum (formerly the Science Center of Connecticut), providing members with a wider range of programs and services for all ages.
Our present facility houses display's on local flora and fauna as well as changing seasonal exhibits. A replica of an Eastern Woodland Indian longhouse, a Beaver Wetland exhibit, a wildlife attraction area, outdoor flight cages, and a small collection of live animals offer our visitors additional opportunities for learning. A small nature store features a selection of nature-related books and gift items.
We maintain five miles of trails on the adjacent State-owned Werner's Woods property. This refuge is home to a variety of native wildlife species - over 150 bird species have been sighted on the property. Outdoor gardens provide opportunities for visitors to view wildflowers, birds and butterflies in season. Self-guiding trail maps, booklets and wildlife checklists are available in the Nature Center Store.